The owners of Baker St. Harbour
Perry & Theresa (Terry) Wray.
Perry was raised in Colorado. Terry was born and raised in Texas. Terry moved to Colorado in 1991 and met Perry in 1997. They fell in love and were married in 1999. Perry was a truck driver and Terry worked as a graphic artist until they decided it was time to pull up roots and “retire” in Texas. Terry was longing to be closer to kids and grandkids. After several years of convincing Perry finally gave in.
History of “the Harbour”
On May 7th, 2008, Perry and Terry took over the Bed and Breakfast from Bill and Betty Moss.
The Baker St. Harbour Waterfront Bed and Breakfast was established Valentine’s Day weekend 1999. It has been blessed many times over with wonderful guests who entered as strangers and have become friends. Baker St. Harbour has been highlighted in the December 2001 Granbury Candlelight Tour of Homes, and again December, 2004.
About the house ..
In January 1892, Samuel B. and Nannie Milliken Lancaster purchased the tract of land that we now know as Baker St. Harbour Bed & Breakfast. It was purchased from Robert Milliken, Nannie’s brother. The Milliken family had moved to Granbury from Kentucky where their father had 3 mail routes. Samuel B. Lancaster was Postmaster in Granbury in 1894. They lived in the home until December 12, 1899, when a single female named Martha Wright (the second wife of Jack Wright ~ the first sheriff of Granbury) purchased the property ~ almost two acres ~for $990! She continued to live in the house until 1926.
The house was sold and leased to the Willie Edgar Martin family, and was the birthplace of his grandson, William Cody Martin, Sr. William Cody Martin, owner of Martin’s Office Supply, Granbury, recounts stories about his grandfather, William Edgar sitting on the back porch with his 30-30 rifle shooting at wolves and coyotes that were trying to kill the sheep that he ran on the property to the west and south. Other families owning the house include B. W. and Milton Kennon, and the Willie Mhoon family (1968 – 1993). Visits with Carole Mhoon reveal some interesting history.
The original tract included several feet of property included in property just to the east. The T.C. Mitchells, needed more land to plant a garden, so the Mhoons sold them part of their land. Needless to say, they shared the harvest! The old windmill caught the brunt of a windstorm in ’89, & the blade was ripped right off, leaving only the twisted legs, which were later covered with vines. Carole said her children used to play in the attic where they could go almost all the way around the house in the crawl space! They also added vinyl siding in the 70’s, and painted all the original woodwork dark brown. The original kitchen was much smaller. They lowered the ceilings to 10′ throughout downstairs; and built the original steps down to the Brazos River, where they often fished & had family gatherings. This was also the site of The Old Settlers Reunion years ago. Carole was very intrigued with all the changes since they owned the house.
We’re quite sure that when the Lancasters purchased the land in the 1890’s, they had no idea it would someday become the beautiful, peaceful setting for romantic getaways, weddings, birthday celebrations, & other special events that it is today! It’s a wonderful place called ‘the harbour’, in Granbury, Texas ~ “Branson on the Brazos”.